Saturday, August 2, 2008

Yoga Journey

On Monday, I will not only be going back to work but also starting a 7 day Yoga Journey. As part of the yoga journey, I will practice yoga everyday for 7 days straight (this isn't so hard). And, I will eat a clean (no processed foods, no sugar, no caffeine)/vegetarian diet (this will be a tad more difficult for me). The idea behind the yoga journey is to cleanse your body of toxins, clear your mind of clutter, and take some time to focus in on creating more healthy space in your life. Overall, I am really looking forward to it. In the past, I haven't participated in the yoga journey during the month of August because I'm so busy at work. This year, I decided that's exactly the reason I should participate.

I also just finished reading the book Quantum Wellness by Kathy Freston. A large portion of her book is about being conscious of what we are putting into our bodies. She actually recommends a 21 day cleanse--although she never really fully explains why 21 days. (I am sticking to my plan of 7). What I think will be the hardest to let go of is my morning cup of coffee--since I cannot have caffeine or sugar. I've decided if I'm wanting a warm drink, I'll make decaf green tea. I really like Yogi Tea--Green Tea Decaf Kombucha. If I want something cold, I'll make a smoothie. I have blueberries, mangos, bananas, and whey protein for that.

Here are some of the other foods I have purchased for the cleanse:
almonds
peanut butter (Hy-Vee has a machine that grinds up peanuts for fresh peanut butter)
hummus
tomatoes
apples
carrots
cucumbers
red, green, and yellow bell peppers
portabella mushrooms
cantelope

Interestingly enough, at the Spa yesterday, in the meditation room there was a book titled Mindful Eating. I skimmed through it and decided that while I really try to be mindful in all aspects of my life, I know I don't always eat mindfully. In Freston's book, she discusses eating as a spiritual experience (I had never thought of it that way). So, along with my cleanse I will be attempting to eat as mindfully as possible and also grateful for the food I'm eating.

Namaste'
Yogadiva

No comments: