Saturday, August 30, 2008

giving and receiving gratitude

Yesterday I received a bouquet of fresh flowers from a student and her family for helping the student make a decision. Helping students is just part of my job; however, this unecessary gesture of gratitude completely made my day--I LOVE fresh flowers! I do buy into the idea that to some degree what we give we get--and just two days before I had posted about living my life with a spirit of gratitude only to be thanked in a very special way by this family.

The world would be a much different place if we focused our attention and energy more on what we have rather than what we do not, on what good people do rather than on the bad, on being compassionate with ourselves and others rather than judgmental. I don't think we need to put on a happy face and have blinders on, but we can focus on small changes in ourselves that can make a difference one person at a time.

How can you show gratitude today?

Namaste'
Yogadiva

No comments: