Sunday, August 31, 2008

new read


Friday evening I took a trip to one of my all-time favorite stores, Barnes & Noble, and purchased The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron. While I wouldn't ever label myself an "artist"--I believe whole-heartedly that we are all creative beings in our own unique ways. I primarily use fashion, my hair, teaching yoga, home decorating, and writing as a way to express my creativity. Sadly, as we grow up, we start getting messages from adults that there are much more important things to do besides being our creative, wonderful selves and we often lose touch with that part of ourselves for good. I am committed to making sure I remain in touch with that part of myself, and I think this book will be helpful with this endeavor.
Here's an excerpt:

"BASIC PRINCIPLES

1. Creativity is the natural order of life. Life is energy: pure creative energy.

2. There is an underlying, in-dwelling creative force infusing all of life--including ourselves.

3. When we open ourselves to our creativity, we open ourselves to the creator's creativity within us and our lives.

4. We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves.

5. Creativity is God's gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God.

6. The refusal to be creative is self-will and is counter to our true nature.

7. When we open ourselves to exploring our creativity, we open ourselves to God: good orderly direction.

8. As we open our creative channel to the creator, many gentle but powerful changes are to be expected.

9. It is safe to open ourselves up to greater and greater creativity.

10. Our creative dreams and yearnings come from a divine source. As we move toward our dreams, we move toward our divinity."


Yoga thought for the day:
"We must accept that this creative pulse within us is God's creative pulse itself."
--Joseph Chilton Pearce
Happy creating.

Namaste'
Yogadiva

No comments: