Thursday, October 16, 2008

being woman

When I got my mail today after work, there was a political ad in the mailbox. I have been receiving these for months, and truthfully, I typically do not pay much attention to them. I know who I will be voting for on electon day. This one, however, caught my eye.

It read, "Women Are Paid Just 77 Cents for Every Dollar a Man Makes."

Then, when I turned on Oprah I saw today's show was about Women Who Changed the World, including Gloria Steinem and Maria Shriver. I took these as signs that I should post today about being woman...what I wouldn't give to be able to sit down around a large round coffee table with a cup in hand and have a conversation with Oprah Winfrey, Gloria Steinem, and Maria Shriver. While I'm dreaming about it, I would probably also add Madonna and Seane Corn to the list.

Gloria Steinem has paved the way for women to live the fabulous lives we lead. Sometimes it can be easy to forget that life wasn't always this way for women. And let us also not forget, as women, we still have a ways to go.

Here is your yogathought for the day from Steinem herself:

"It isn't about women having to do it all. It's about women not having to do it all."

Namaste'
Yogadiva

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Great post! I am delighted to be a women. I think we as women need to talk to each other more and lift each other up always! Have a good Friday!

Caroline said...

Women are the pillars of this earth! I know this, because I have birthed 2 children and have taken on the emotional responsibility of raising them (not that men can't do this...but women just know how to nurture).

Also, women can band together! I was blown away by all the kindness and support I received yesterday on my blog...all of them...women! And thank you for your beautiful words...it really does help!