Wednesday, July 30, 2008

home sweet home

This is one of my favorite spots--and it's right outside my back door. I definitely believe it is so important to create a space to live in that makes you feel peaceful, alive, and well.

The energy you have becomes a part of the environment and the environment's energy also influences you. From the colors you choose to paint the walls to the arrangement of the furniture to what you choose to fill your space--it all has an impact on how you feel.

Yesterday I spent 5 hours painting my bathroom--I also painted the day before, but didn't end up liking the colors. They looked great on the color sample, but once on the walls they were way too bright. After my 3rd color choice, I got it right! So the bathroom went from an olive green to a beautiful turquoise. When I walk into the room, I feel like I'm walking right into the ocean. Paint is a cheap (unless you have to purchase 3 separate gallons to get the color right) way to change the entire look and feel of a room.

I also recommend getting rid of clutter. When your space is cluttered, your mind is cluttered. This summer I spent some time cleaning out closets and organizing. It really is amazing how much lighter I feel now that those projects are complete and the house is better organized.

My last recommendation is about purchases for your home (this can also apply to any type of purchase)--when you are thinking about buying something ask yourself, "Is this something I love? Does it speak to me?" If you answer no to either question, don't make the purchase. You don't want to fill your space with stuff that doesn't make you feel more alive and well.

Is your home a reflection of who you are? If not, you may not feel "at home" in your home.

Here is your yoga thought for the day:

"It's nice to return home each day to something intensely personal."--Stanley Borrows

Namaste'
Yogadiva

No comments: