Friday, May 15, 2009

rain and a word on creativity

It is pouring down rain right now. Since I'm inside with no where to go, I don't mind the rain showers at all. I have our two screen doors open and the sound of it is rather soothing. The pups are a bit freaked out because of the occasional burst of thunder. And, sadly my sweet husband is a bit preoccupied because he's not able to get his truck (or girlfriend as I like to refer to it, but that's another story) in the garage because we had a massive pile of mulch delivered in our driveway today, and he's worried it might hail.

Earlier this afternoon we started mulching our flower beds. We finished the one in the front of our house, which is the largest, before the storm moved in. Mulching is such a dirty job. I was covered from head to toe.
I know I've posted quite a bit about flowers recently. Truly, planting flowers is one of my creative outlets, and I enjoy them all summer long. Last week, while flower shopping with a friend, she was amused at how I arrange the flowers on my flat in the way I intend to plant them, so I can visualize and design my pots just as I want them to look. This year, my color theme for the flowers in my pots is mainly pinks and purples.
Here is your yogathought for the day on creativity from the creativity guru herself, Julia Cameron:
"We are all creative. Creativity is a natural life force that all can experience in one form or another. Just as blood is part of our physical body and is nothing we must invent, creativity is part of us and we each can tap into the greater creative energies of the universe and pull from that vast, powerful sprirtual wellspring to amplify our own individual creativity.
As a culture we tend to define creativity too narrowly and to think of it in elitist terms, as something belonging to a small chosen tribe of 'real artists.' But in reality everything we do requires making creative choices, although we seldom recognize that fact. The ways in which we dress, set up our homes, do our jobs, the movies we see, and even the people we involve ouselves with--these all are expressions of our creativity. It is our erroneuos beliefs about creativity, our cultural mythology about artists ('All artists are broke, crazy, promiscuous, self-centered, single or they have trust funds') that encourage us to leave our dreams unfulfilled. These myths most often involve matters of money, time, and other people's agendas for us. We we clear these blocks away, we can become more creative."
Namaste'
Yogadiva
(photo by kompot.photo on flickr)

1 comment:

The Depressed Yogi said...

Mmmm i LOVE thunderstorms (when i'm inside). I'm hoping we get one here soon!

Lola is a maltese-poodle (although bigger than most of them). I want to see pics of yours!!