Saturday, February 5, 2011

a word on chakras

As I've mentioned multiple times recently, I've been reading Judith Anodea's Eastern Body Western Mind and LOVING it. I actually finished the book yesterday--it's a whopping 458 pages and I finished it in less than a month (which is fast for me, since I am always reading at least three books at one time). Today, I started going back through the book and rereading all the quotes I highlighted. For those who aren't familiar with the chakra system, or why it matters, here is a short explanation from the book:

"Chakras are not physical entities in and of themselves. Like feelings or ideas, they cannot be held like a physical object, yet they have a strong effect upon the body as they express the enbodiment of spiritual energy on the physical plane. Chakra patterns are programmed deep in the core of the mind-body interface and have a strong relationship with our physical functioning. Just as the emotions can and do affect our breathing, heart rate, and metabolism, the activities in the various chakras influence our grandular process, body shape, chronic physical ailments, thoughts, and behavior. By using techniques such as yoga, breathing, bioenergetics, physical exercises, meditation, and visualization, we can, in turn, influence our chakras, our health, and our lives. This is one of the essential values of this system--that it maps onto both the body and the mind, and can be accessed through either."

(*photo from http://www.besteasternhealthtips.com/)

I will be sharing more from this book throughout the next month. It really has opened my eyes to the connection between our chakras and our personality, health, and well-being. Creating a balance of energy flow is the ultimate goal, and once again, I am reminded why yoga is such a healing practice.

Peace, Love, Lipstick,
& Namaste'
Leslie

No comments: