Sunday, November 23, 2008

you are your guru

When instructing yoga classes, I always encourge yoginis to view me only as a guide, and to know they themselves are the experts on their bodies--only they know exactly what they are feeling and experiencing in each moment and in each posture.

As a counselor, people often assume my role is to give advice; however, from my philisophical standpoint, my role is to aid the person who is having a problem in figuring out for themselves what he or she needs to do in any given situation.

With all the messages we receive from family, friends, and the media it can be easy to forget that we are the experts on our bodies, our minds, and our lives. There are many teachers out there, and it's important to be open and learn from them, but ultimately we can and should be the guru in our own lives.

Here are three yogathoughts for the day on this topic:

"I know this could be a surprise for my mom, but I have to reveal it. I'm no longer my self. So please stop talking about what I think because I don't think that anymore. Thanks in advance." --Stephen Hawking

"Every time you don't follow your inner guidance, you feel a loss of energy, loss of power, a sense of spiritual deadness." --Shakti Gawain

"To know what you prefer insteand of humbly saying Amen to wht the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive." --Robert Louis Stevenson

Trust and embrace your inner guru.

Namaste'
Yogadiva

No comments: