Thursday, September 4, 2008

conscious eating

Since reading Kathy Freston's book, Quantum Wellness, I have started what she calls "leaning" into a more conscious way of eating. I have always considered myself a person who intentionally strives to be a spiritual being, but for some reason, until reading her book, I had never really thought of eating as a spiritual activity. Since finishing her book, I have started to eat primarily whole, non-processed, organic food. I gave up caffeine (I still have my decaf cup of coffee in the morning with a little sugar--I haven't been able to give it up totally--and soy milk). I also have greatly reduced my meat intake. As far as meat goes, I have pretty much only been eating seafood and farm raised animals, occasionally. For me, at this point I'm making the conscious choice to focus on the fact that I don't want to put anything in my body that is associated with violence or cruelty. For some reason, until this book I hadn't really wanted to think about or recognize the cruelty some animals suffer--she forced me to open my eyes. I'm hopeful I will keep up this approach to eating. Since making the change, I definitely feel much more healthy, alive, and well.

With this being said, I am very aware of how people react when talking with them about my new more conscious way of eating. I would never want to sound preachy or try to push my views on other people. I also think everyone has a right to make choices and create the life they want to live. I don't judge others for their personal choices, just as I hope others don't judge me for mine.

If you are at all interested in exploring this idea of conscious eating more, I'd recommend you check out Kathy Freston's book. I found it to be informative and reader friendly. It made me think and make some conscious changes. I'd also recommend checking out the following website: www.farmsanctuary.org

"Farm Sanctuary works to end cruelty to farm animals and promotes compassionate living through rescue, education and advocacy. We envision a world where the violence that animal agriculture inflicts upon people, animals and the environment has ended, and where instead we exercise values of compassion."

I just finished watching the "It doesn't have to be this way" video under Farm Clips on this website, and I felt compelled to write this post. If you chose to watch, please know that it is graphic.

Here is your yoga thought for the day:

"One of the key points that I've been trying to make in this book is the need for conscious living. Meditation, cleansing, self analysis, exercise--it's ll focused on one goal: living your life in a fully conscious way." --Kathy Freston

Namaste'
Yogadiva

No comments: