Saturday, April 19, 2008

karma


As a school counselor, I often find myself having conversations with students about recognizing the fact that they cannot control how other people treat them. They can only control the way they react. They usually nod their head in agreement, signaling they understand; however, at the age of 17, it's doubtful most of them really get it, as many adults still struggle with this truth. While my conversations with students are usually an attempt to get them not to punch someone in the face next time they "mean mug" them or talk badly about them, in the adult world, hopefully this isn't the case. As adults perhaps we feel a desire to punch someone in the face after we feel we are treated poorly; however, our maturity level among other things have probably stopped us from taking this course of action. But, we may react by jumping into the role of victim, and wasting loads of energy feeling like "poor me," or maybe we try to get back at the person whom we feel has wronged us, perpetuating the drama even more. I truly believe, in one way or another, all that we put out there in this world we get back. Because of this belief, I make a conscious and sincere effort to always make choices that reflect living and interacting with others with compassion and thoughtfulness. Now don't get me wrong, I don't try to befriend people who treat others poorly, but I do believe they will get back what they dish out, and I don't think it's my job to make sure they do so. This definitely allows me to always have a sense of acceptance and peace in all my interactions.

With all this in mind, here is the yoga thought for the day:

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."

--Wayne Dyer

Namaste'
Yogagal

No comments: