Thursday, June 12, 2008

summer reading

For those of you who don't know me, I LOVE to read. I read mostly personal growth books, memoirs, magazines, and fictional novels. This week I read a book I seriously could not put down. It has over 400 pages, and I finished it in 3 days. I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. (which is late for me) last night reading, so I could finish the book. I woke up with a headache this morning because I had cried so much the night before while finishing it! (This is not a normal thing. I think I only remember crying while reading 3 books--two of which have been by this author). I am glad I started this book during the summer because I was able to just keep reading and reading it without having to stop for work! What is the book? you may ask.

The book is called Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Jodi Picoult is probably one of the best authors of our time--in my opinion. Not only are the plots of her books fabulous and entertaining--they make you THINK. There are always a lot of ethical ideas to ponder as you read. You also truly get to know the characters as if they were real. So, if you're looking for a great summer read that will make you think and feel, check out this book!

Here are some other reading recommendations:

GREAT FICTION:
My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult (This is now my 2nd all time favorite Jodi Picoult book. I believe there is a movie being made based on this book, so if you're like me and can't read a book after watching a movie, you'll want to read this book asap!)

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (yes another one!)

Julia's Chocolates by Cathy Lamb

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

GREAT PERSONAL GROWTH:
The Unmistakable Touch of Grace by Cheryl Richardson (one of my favorite personal growth authors)

The New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach

Manifest Your Destiny by Wayne Dyer

GREAT MEMOIRS:
Marley and Me by John Grogan (This is also being made into a movie with Jennifer Aniston)

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

If you have some great reading recommendations, please pass them on!
Happy summer reading!

Namaste'

Yogagal

No comments: