Monday, March 24, 2008

Breathe

From Eckhart Tolle's book The New Earth:

"Someone recently showed me the annual prospectus of a large spritual organization. When I looked through it, I was impressed by the wide choice of interesting seminars and workshops. It reminded me of a smorgasbord, one of those Scandinavian buffets where you can take your pick from a huge variety of enticing dishes. The person asked me whether I could recommend one or two courses. 'I don't know,' I said. 'They all look so interesting. But I do know this,' I added. 'Be aware of your breathing as often as you are able, whenever you remember. Do that for one year, and it will be more powerfully transformative than attending all of these courses. And it's free.'

Being aware of your breathing takes attention away from thinking and creates space. It is one way of generating consciousness...

Be aware of your breathing. Notice the sensation of the breath. Feel the air moving in and out of your body. Notice how the chest and abdomen expand and contract slightly with the in- and out breath. One conscious breath is enough to make some space where before there was the uninterrupted succession of one thought after another. One conscious breath (two or three would be even better), taken many times a day, is an excellent way of bringing space into your life." (pgs. 244-245).

Simple enough, huh? I think I'll try it.

Namaste'
Yogagal

(art by Jody Uttal)

No comments: