Tuesday, January 29, 2008

cycle of life

While there are many days I question why I live in a state where the temperature can be almost 60 degrees when I wake up and then fall to less than 20 degrees with high winds and snow by late afternoon, there are many more days I remind myself of the importance of seasons as a constant reminder of the cyclical nature of life. Winter can often be a very long, hard, difficult time for people--the brutally cold weather, the gray days, and early darkness can definitely take their tole. However, it's so important to remind ourselves that spring always comes.

I was making some connections with these ideas tonight while reading Wayne Dyer's book Change Your Thoughts--Change Your Life. Here are a few quotes to ponder:

"The 16th verse of the Tao Te Ching describes the value of being supremely conscious of the constant cycle of all. Rather than viewing change as a disruptive, unwanted occurrence, you can choose to view the variances in your world as valuable influences...When you see change as the only constant there really is, you start to recognize it as an expression of ongoing life that's a welcome clue to your own purpose and meaning...Embrace this nature of cyclical change and you'll thrive...The reality is that beginnings are often disguised as painful endings. So when you know that there's a constant beyond the present moment's disappointment, you can sense that 'this too shall pass'--it always has and always will. When you change the way your look at things, the things you look at change!" (pages 73-74)

So, on a very literal level when thinking about the seasons and change, I am definitely more than ready for spring to arrive. On a more abstract and metaphorical level, when approaching and going through changes in my life, I often find myself very apprehensive and sometimes even resistant. As I approach my upcoming life changes, I am going to do my best to try to remind myself of Dyer's statement about recognizing "change as an expression of ongoing life that's a welcome clue to your own purpose and meaning."

And, "Embrace this nature of cyclical change and you'll thrive," is going to be my new mantra.

At this point in life, especially if you're in the depths of winter, my hope for you is that "you can sense that 'this too shall pass.'"--Spring will arrive.

Peace be with you always.

Namaste'
Yogagal

No comments: